Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mock mayo waldorf, and strawberry shake

Allright so I have been reading up on a few things and really experimenting to try and make some of the things I miss. It hasn't worked out as well as I hoped on some recipes but on others I canot believe how good things can taste without any fat, oil, or sugar.

So here are a few attempts from the past few days....

I went to a wedding shower a few weeks ago and they had that waldorf chicken salad in croissants and I about died watching people go back for 2-3 sandwhiches while I sat there eating my cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and raw califlower with no dip. Then they only had a sugary punch to drink and no filtered water. grrrr... anyways, so I decided to try something a little bit different to make a waldorf salad.

I was talking to Mellie and she said that a girl she knows substitutes ground up califlower as mayo on her husband's sandwiches so that he eats some vegitables without realizing it.

So I decided to try to make some mock mayo out of califlower.







Waldorf Salad
1 long stem of celelry
1 granny smith apple
Iceberg lettcue (as a mock croissant)
3 oz chicken

Mock mayo
About a handful of califlower, steamed
garlic salt
paprika
lemon juice
apple cider vinegar
spash of milk
salt
pepper
chopped up fresh chives about 1 tsp
chopped up green onions about 2 tsp

So first I put the chicken in to bake on 375 F for about 30 minutes. I but it in a baking dish that was covered with waxpaper so that the chicken won't stick.

Cut up your califlower and steam it or boil it until it is tender.

Chop up the chives, and green onions.

In a bullet or a blender (my mom just got a Bullet for mother's Day and I love that thing, you can blend ANYTHING.) combine the mayo ingredients and add the seasonings to taste.

This didn't taste perfect and I think that I am definately going to work on it a bit for flavor, but it worked pretty well. My mom ate it up in minutes so I am guessing it was good, and she said it was good.????

Place the dressing in the fridge to cool. (it will look a litttle bit green because of the chives)

When the chicken is done separate it into pieces with a fork and place it in the freezer on a plate to cool. Chop up the apple and the clelery and place in a bowl. Add the chicken pieces and dressing to coat. Roll into the lettuce if you want a kind of sandwhich, or just eat it out of the bowl.


This recipe needs some work, but if you try it and find a different spice or mix it differently let me know. You can also add some stevia to the dressing to make it sweeter if you want.

In my next phase I want nuts in this and some grapes.

The ground up califlower with milk would really make a great base for other dressings because it is really creamy. When I am in my next phase and I can have cheese I am going to try some blue cheese crumbles in this for sure. Maybe even add a ranch packet to it if I can and make some ranch dressing.

Also in researching for the next phase I found another mock mayo recipe that I am going to try with cocoanut oil. ??? I will let you know how that goes.


Fat free strawberry shake:

This was soooo good.

I was craving ice cream really bad, and so I whipped this up for fun.

Handful of frozen strawberries, lime juice, crushed ice, stevia, spash of skim milk.

I didn't really measure the ingredients just added them to taste, and it tasted awesome. I put this in that bullet of my mom's and it worked great. But I believe that a blender would be just fine.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sounds good and worth trying. I hope that you keep finding great substitutes to share.